DIY: Floral Top + Circle Skirt // Suzume Yosako's Outfit

 I recently found out about the manga Hirunaka no Ryuusei, also known as Daytime Shooting Star. It's a shoujo manga which I found very refreshing! Plus the artwork is really well done and the fashion + style in it is just A plus. As I was starting a new chapter, I saw the photo below and instantly fell in love with Suzume Yosako's outfit (she's the main heroine). I thought it looked very chic and cute! I saved the photo for future reference because I knew that one day I was going to make it for myself.

You might have seen this from my tumblr!
Near the end of January, I had a lot of negative energy and had the strong urge to just take all that negativity and make something good out of it... Hence me spending over an hour in a fabric store, searching every shelf and corner for the perfect fabric that'd be suitable to Suzume's. I probably spent a grand total of two days working on this. I know, I'm crazy. But once I get focused on something, I like to stay in that mindset!


I will say though that I ran into a lot of issues with the top, especially since I'm not an experienced sewer. I spent the longest time during this part... I definitely learnt a lot! If I ever make another top like this one, I know exactly how to approach it from now on haha ahh and can I just say how much I love black velvet ribbon?

From my instagram! :) What I wore on CNY

The skirt was the easiest part. I spent only a few hours on it, having worked on a couple of skirts already! I choose a circle skirt pattern because I really wanted the skirt to flare out.

If you'd like to see how this project came along, check out the video below! :) Note, I didn't have all the footage of every single step... Especially when it came to the skirt haha. You can tell I got a bit lazy/too focused on sewing. After inserting the zipper, I hemmed the bottom of the skirt and it was fini!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I am also currently reading (obsessing) Hirunaka no Ryuusei too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I'm inspired to do one of Suzume's outfits soon as well!

    ReplyDelete